Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 [Part 4]

Wow. I timed this perfectly, didn't I? I started my 2009 series on Sunday, and wrote one everyday, but didn't have time yesterday, and here I am, on New Year's Eve. Last one.

It's time for the countdown of my favorite moments of this year. These are always so, so hard.

15. Being the graphics person for my youth group for one day--pastor Lee asked me to make some graphics for our youth group. I only came in for one day, and I wasn't asked to do it again, but I felt real important for a while. Heh. Now we have a new graphics person, but that's ok.

14. Eating at five guys for the 2nd-11th time--yeah I'm not kidding. 11th. I keep the menus every time so I have proof. I ate there 10 times this year. Crazy. It's just so. GOOD.

13. Seeing Relient K--that was so cool. They've been in my top 2 favorite bands going on 4 years now. So much talent. I hope they keep on.

12. Finishing my switchfoot cross stitching project--That was alot of hard work and I plan on giving it to them one day. Each time I've met them [only twice haha] I've given them something. I like giving back. They DEFINITELY deserve it.

11. The initiation at cross country camp--I can't explain, but it was very interesting.

10. The day when I ran 6 miles at practice--It was cold and wet. And I overachieved for the first time that season. I had a really hard time this season, so I'm hoping next year I'll be really good. I just have to work hard.

9. When Jon @replied me on twitter--actually he #replied me, but close enough. Hehehh.

8. The first time I webcammed Pin before she had one--that dust remover spray stuff. That was SO FUNNY.

7. Meeting Jon for the first time at the Fiction Family show--it was so great to finally meet one of my heroes. It was really cool that he wore my fedora at that show too. Jon is such a nice guy. So down to earth. It's so easy to talk to him. I'll remember that night forever.

6. Meeting Sare--my school always has an 8th grade trip to Washington DC and Sare happens to live within driving distance [we drove too, but 8 hours isn't technically legit "driving distance"] and we set it all up and met outside of that big church place. For some reason I can't remember what it's called. Anyway, it was so awesome meeting her after all the letters and stuff!!

5. Playing guitar at the highschool retreat--it was almost like a tour. hahaha. we were there for 3 days I think, and we played a couple songs every night, and practiced in the afternoons. When we were in the "green room" everyone clapped slowly and got faster and faster like some people do at concerts. It was awesome. :D My fingers got very very calloused that week. It was great.

4. Hanging with Dylan, Anna, and Cecelia and the switchfoot show--it was really cool! It's the first show I've ever experienced with boardies. It's like a no worries thing. I can't wait til that happens again.

3. Jumping on the trampoline with Alex--that was GREAT. We're crazy. It was raining--POURING actually-- and 9:30pm-11:00pm [I think] and we were in our swimsuits. Weirdest, most random thing I have ever done, hands down. It was so much fun. HAHAH.

2. My first switchfoot show complete with aftershow and first time meeting all the guys--no explaining needed.

1. Fishing with Blake, Madeline, and Avery at the highschool retreat--I'll NEVER forget that day. None of them even read my blog but that's okay. But that was the greatest. Impromptu fishing trips are the best, even though we didn't catch anything but grass. "Nyeh!"

Well that just about wraps it up. There were millions of moments in 2009, so narrowing it down to 15 is very difficult. Anyway, to sum up this year, I think it was at least a little better than '08. At the end of my 2008 post I said
Reading all these great things from 2008, you would think it was an incredible year. Well, for me it was pretty good, but not the best. I believe 2009 will be better, and I'll make it better. 2008 for me was filled with too much heartbreak, too many letdowns, too many emotions, too much pain. I've slowly learned to get a hold of myself and learn to deal with things, though. 2008 has made me a stronger person. I will never forget all the things that God used to prepare me for the future, and though they seemed harsh and unfair at the time, I thank Him for them nonetheless.

 
So this year included a bit of heartbreak, a bit of pain, but unlike last year I didn't let those become the top 2 ingredients of this year. You know how on ingredient labels the first 2 ingredients are the ones used most in the food? Yeah. The top ingredient for me this year was hope. Hope during the pain and heartbreak, hope for a better tomorrow, for a better week, for a better me. I think I did become a better Lee. I tried not to let others define me. God is becoming the center of my life like He intended. I'm starting to let Him. It's hard to step out of the spotlight of your own life, but I'm learning that it's the for the best. I hope that 2010 is better because I've learned so many lessons this year that I can use to help myself and others next year. Have a great new year, everyone!

No comments: