Saturday, November 7, 2009

Super Short Hello Hurricane Review, so Short, You Might Actually Read It

Hello. I just listened to Hello Hurricane for the first time. So right now I'm posting a review of it, but only what *really* stood out to me, so I won't listen to it while I'm writing this.

1. Needle and Haystack Life- the beginning was great. it's was like drew was gathering all the sounds for the entire album and drawing them in. excellent opener.

2. Mess of Me- great, as always. jon's vocals are just so spot on, especially in the bridge.

3. Your Love is a Song- WOW. I had never heard any of this song before, but it was PERFECT. the lyrics, the way it flowed. one of the most magnificent songs I have ever heard.

4. The Sound- all the energy in this song is unreal! drew's guitar solo is sick. and I love when the music just STOPS at certain points in the song. fabulous song.

5. Enough to Let Me Go- this song is such a pretty song. it makes me wanna cry. the vocals in this song are great too.

6. Free- woahh. before, all I had heard of this was the acoustic version they did at that radio station in charlotte. [I was gonna go to that, but school...anyway...] This BLEW ME AWAY. It was so vibrant. an anthem. it's definitely the strongest song on this record. it made me wanna jump up and pump my fists or something. hahah. when it was over I remember thinking "this song HAS to be on the radio!!"

7. Hello Hurricane- I really liked this one. it also flowed really well. it has a wonderful message too. it kept making me think of the katrina victims. "there's nothing left for you to take away."

8. Always- oh wow. I love it. it gave me chills from the start. my favorite part is definitely the bridge. the "ah ooh, ooh ooh" part. I closed my eyes, and imagined diving into the ocean and coming back up. great great great song.

9. Bullet Soul- I remember that this was one of my least favorites that I heard live recordings of, but I really enjoyed the album version. the music is great, and this song has a lot of energy.

10. Yet- Ah, yet. I remember being in LOVE with the live version I have. I still am. it's still my favorite song. and I was sure it would be my favorite on the album. But it really wasn't. it was still beautiful, but I was expecting something BIG to happen after the bridge, but it never did. maybe it'll grow on me.

11. Sing it Out- the beginning of this song sounds like the screechy, haunting music they always play when they show footage from Auschwitz. the song, though, isn't as haunting. it's lovely, but I don't remember how it goes anymore. I remember the words, but not the melody. that's okay. I'll listen to it again soon.

12. Red Eyes- I love the picture this song painted from the start. the chorus was great!! and the end was so cool. it reminded me of the end of "Dance on Our Graves" by paper route. excellent.

Thoughts on the Album as a Whole- What really stood out to me throughout the album was the distortion on drew's guitar. Also, I heard a lot more Tim. There was a whole lot more harmony than in any of their other albums, but harmony is one of my favorite things, especially 3-part, so that was wonderful for me. Overall, this album is probably the best they've done, and I can't wait to see and hear all it went through to become what we now know as Hello Hurricane.

1 comment:

Mike(bsngr95) said...

im going to have to disagree on some of your reviews on this lee. i shall go in order like you did

1. i dont really think it was a good opener. its just an ok song. sounds kinda popp-ish with the chorus. the demos of it were better bc the distortion was toned down a bit on the chorus and it sounds good

2. mess of me is good. jons vocals are good, but you can tell his voice is starting to die down bc he is getting older

3. i just dont think it was perfect. could have been a good acoustic song, i think they tried too much for it

4. have to agree, prb my fav song on the album

5. great verse music, vocals are ok, it doesnt make me wanna cry

6. just saying i dont remember how this song goes is the fact that this song wasnt a strong song or anything good to me bc nothing of it standed out

7. good song agree with you

8. ok song, i like the second verse but it seemed like they could have done more with the chorus instead of just "always yours"

9. pop-y, its kinda like popparrazi, i just dont get the song

10. this was great acousticly like u said, but they tried too much on this song, should have just kept it acoustic, but i still like it

11. ok song

12. i like this. its different and pretty cool

as a whole- could have been better, some songs they tried too much for them, some should have been left raw, good album, not great or one of their best