Friday, November 27, 2009

"It's Nonsensical, Yes it Is"

     Ah, Black Friday. The day where thousands of Americans who are most likely already in debt spend tons of money on stuff they do not need, just because it's on sale. Sale means nothing, because you're just gonna buy more stuff, right? Right. Don't kid yourself.
     This year I choose not to go shopping. My mom might go, and I might go with her, just so I don't lay around the house like a lazy person [I need to walk off all that food from yesterday anyway]. Now, you know, I, being a girl, have the natural instinct to WANT to shop. And to be perfectly honest, I do! But you just have to fight. You know how it's our nature to sin, too? I have to fight that also. I'm sorry I have to do this, but here's an example from Twilight: the vampires obviously are predators. They are "programmed" to kill humans, right? Well the Cullens fight that instinct. That's what we should do.
     It also amazes me how people have such a hard time waking up at 6 for school or church, but they have no problem at all waking up at 4 to shop. Bah. I feel like the Grinch.
     Now I'm not saying "DON'T SHOP, YOU HEATHEN!" No, no, no. I'm saying that should go shopping, because if you need something, it's most likely on sale today. but before you put each item in your cart, ask yourself, "do I really, REALLY need this?" You'll be surprised at what you put back.
     Alright. have a nice day.


You've been having trouble staying asleep
You been waking up at 4:12
You roll the voices over in your head
Then you try to put them neatly on the shelf
You watch the sun rise
You saw the darkness had no choice before the dawn
With your own eyes
And then you broke out laughing from a yawn

You said,
"I'm so sorry I've been so down.
I started doubting things could ever turn around.
And I began to believe that all we are is material.
It's nonsensical."

So you walk outside and everything's new
You're looking at the world with new eyes.
As if you'd never seen a sky before that's blue
As if you've never seen the sky in your whole life
And then the phone rings
As it turns out you're already late
And now you're wondering
Was peace just a temporary state?

You're waiting tables and parking cars
You've been selling cell phones at the shopping mall
And you began to believe that all you are is material
It's nonsensical

I still can't believe that all we are
And that all of are dreams are nothing more than material

Souls aren't built of stone,
Sticks and bones


[lyrics provided by metrolyrics.com]

1 comment:

pam b from sc said...

I so agree. I don't want to be a grinch but I don't like the feeling that I'm being pressured to go spend money just because the advertisements tell me that's what I should be doing. Yes, it's non-sensical!